Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I'm Back!!



Jessica visited a friend on their Game Farm not far from us and this little motherless Wildebeest came wondering up to them as they were sitting by the pool one night! It decided it liked her and stuck by her side the whole time she was there. It is now being hand reared on the farm.






Hi everyone,yes back to normal finally! Hope you all also had a lovely holiday season. We have been flooded out by abnormally heavy rains,the dam walls have broken (one on our property) and about 12 that I know of in the area.According to the weather forecasts our worst rain is still to come around February/March! I made use of the opportunity to upgrade my laptop and had some viruses removed that I got sent via Face book. I visited an old girlfriend that I lost contact with 11 years ago and did a long road trip to her farm in Baberton,Mpumalanga,all on my own. It was a girls only visit and boy did we have some catching up to do. Her little daughter is all grown up and a Mother to boot! Jean and Lorraine,thanx for an awesome time over there,I can't remember when last I let my hair down like that! Fun,Fun,Fun! We also just came back from dropping Jessica off at University in Potchefstroom which is way to the other side of the country in the Northwest region. She has settled in to a brand new 2 bed roomed flat that she shares with two other girls,luckily she has a huge bedroom all to herself...better to study in privacy???? Her Dad spoiled her with a brand new laptop and I had to shop for all the interior decorations,kitchen utensils,tiny little dining room suite etc. I will be using my web cam for the first time ever now! Cules and I got all choked up when we had to leave her,suddenly quite grown up with her own little household and varsity life...When I took her shopping for food she made a bee line for the 2 minute noodles,"cause it's easy to make",tomato ketchup, and having had a lecture by Cules about spending money sparingly,she flattered her eyelashes at him and innocently asked if avocado's are student food!!! Oh my, where we live avo's are grown everywhere and we eat them for breakfast,lunch and supper, so it was explained that there it is considered a luxury...ha ha

15 comments:

  1. Hi there! I have been wondering about you and yours!!! Yikes! The rains really wash you out there! Stay safe since it sounds like you have lots more to go! I bet your animals have a hard time with it all too.

    Oh, your baby is off to college! That's great! She's going to grow up so much now! (sniff, sniff).

    So happy you're doing okay! Thanks for checking back in with us and letting us know you're alive! Glad you had such a good trip to see your old friend and her expanding family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Texwisgirl! Good to be back again I never recieved your postal adress and info. I want to send you a little something too! Before I finally sent my laptop in I couldn't even use my e-mail because of the virus, so if you did send it I never got it.. How was your holidays?? Cold I bet! xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are doing okay. I was wondering about you. Hope you stay safe with more rains to come.It' s so scary when our little ones get big. I'm still waiting for mine to leave though, so you'll have to tell me how to survive. That baby is just adorable!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Teresa! I have no idea how I am going to cope!! All the other parents say it is scary the way the kids are so keen to move on and us parents totter about looking like we are about to stuck our thumbs in our mouths! How are you and your lot?Thank you for having me in your thoughts, Bless you! xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back. I missed your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you back! I'm sorry to hear about the floods. The world has been having some really weird weather these past few years, hasn't it.

    Anyways, I'm glad that everything is ok and back to normal. Though, I would bet you're feeling a bit of that empty nest syndrome right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to hear from you again, I was beginning to get worried. It's terrible with the floods in so many parts of the world. I didn't know you had them in SA too. I follow a blog from Mpumalanga, called Mpumalanga Journal. They post only rarely, but you may want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is good to hear from you. I thought about you the other day and hoped everything was O.K.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a cute photo of them both! I know how it feels to take a child off and leave them at college, I have done that a number of times. My one daughter was such a home body...I took her on a thursday, she called home 50 times and came home on saturday, only to have to go back for monday..but she graduated! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are back and you have been missed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back! Glad you had a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Liesl..glad you are back, as is everyone! So sorry to read about the horrendous flooding. How did you handle it with all the animals?

    Your daughter is positively gorgeous! And so is her little buddy. I remember when our daughters left home...I cried everytime. But, it was their time to spread their wings...we can't keep them home forever. Ironically, they developed a great sense of appreciation for where they came from.

    Sounds like you took quite a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lori, the animals are all ok,our land is a little higher up than those around us. The big dam that broke was fenced off so no-one got caught in the flooding.It then had a domino effect on the dams lower down from us when all that water ran riot! The drive way to our house is only 100m from the tarred road,so we have it luckier than most...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back Liesl! Sounds like you had a great break.
    The first 2 pics are so cute! A wildebeest baby! It actually looks like a baby Moose which we see around here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jim,so good to hear from you! Yes,I had a fantastic break,hope you had a good one too! Jess had a good giggle with the bleating wild baby Wildebeest following her around like she was it's Mommy.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,thank you for stopping by "A Little African Magic" and joining my adventures in South Africa. I do enjoy and appreciate to hear from each and every one of you!